Barrett Tagliarino: metalichicka interview with paul gilbert and scott henderson

News:
01-03-2009:
Jenn really has out done herself this time with a really full interview with Barrett Tagliarino... here's just a small excerpt:
I had gotten to know Paul because a mutual friend recommended he see me for lessons. One of the things Paul wanted to learn about was a 13sus4 chord that was on some Jeff Beck and Chaka Khan CDs he brought over. Paul was interested in how this chord was used compositionally and what you might play over it, things like that. There’s no 3rd in it so you can use it more than one way.



When I asked Paul if he’d like to play on a track for me, he said yes, and somewhat jokingly requested that he get to play over as many 13sus4 chords as possible. I knew it wasn’t really a requirement, but I found a place to stick a whole series of them in a song, “Den of Vipers,” and it sounded pretty cool. I let him hear all the tunes as I was writing, and he wanted either “Den of Vipers,” or “Healer,” because it also had some interesting chord changes.

“Den of Vipers” was one of the songs I decided not to include on this CD. Right now I’m planning to make it a bonus track for people who buy the CD and want to hear more. It’s mixed, but not mastered yet. Paul wound up with “Healer” and really tore it up. Great job.

I knew Scott because we taught at the same place for years, have a lot of friends in common, and I’ve gone to see him play many times. I had him in mind while I was writing “Devil’s House Party,” though as with Paul I would have been happy to let him pick any tune he wanted. Scott’s a great blues player, but besides all his Hendrixy vocabulary he can incorporate jazz ideas without losing the vibe. I intentionally wrote a blues progression that hangs out on the V chord (Bb7 in the key of Eb) for a long time, eight measures, because I wanted to hear him do this diminished stuff that he’s been freaking everybody out with for years. He did not disappoint!
full interview



buy Barrett's CD featuring Paul Gilbert and Scott Henderson: Throttle Twister

Comments